[EM] Some terminology standardization suggestions

Diana Galletly dag1000 at eng.cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 1 14:27:02 PST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 matt at tidalwave.net wrote:

[re: yet another reinvention of the wheel that is gender-neutral pronouns]

> Initially the unfamiliar words will need to be explained in any document
> where they appear.  Hopefully, over time, it will become better understood
> and the explanation will no longer be needed.

Not to be a wording/grammar-freak or anything, but ...

Personally, I use the zie/zir/zirself set of GNPs when talking to people
I expect not to lambast me for it (and, indeed, in my livejournal, where
anyone who objects can get lost!)  They/their/themself are another option,
with historical precedent to back them up.

I have no wish to get into an argument concerning the politics of various
sets of GNPs, nor indeed why I find it necessary to use them at all, and
*particularly* I have no wish to go into it on-list, as it is extremely
off-topic.  Anyone wishing to know more is free to email me privately, but
insults will not receive a response.  Also *any* response may be delayed
at the moment, as I am currently in the US and not necessarily reading
email as frequently as usual (although the wireless access here at MIT is
in the main pretty impressive).

Diana.