[EM] Meaning of preference

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 12:32:49 PST 2004

Some people object to criteria that mention preference--Markus uses "prefer"
where others would say "vote", but he objects if I use it to mean what most
of us mean by "prefer". There seems to be an academic rule, that no one can
give a reason for, that criteria shouldn't say anything about preferences.
Markus says that the academics don't write criteria that way, but why is it
necessary to copy them?

But I'd like to say something about what preference means:

A statement that some particular voter prefers X to Y is a statement of an
order relation between X & Y, for that voter. For the purposes of my
criteria, "prefer" needn't mean more than that.

Preferences needn't be transitive. The only requirement is that a particular
voter can't prefer X to Y and Y to X.

Some order-relations aren't defined as being for some 3rd party. For
instance if Smith is taller than Jones, it isn't necessary to say that Smith
is taller than Jones "for" someone else. He's just taller, and that's all
that needs to be said. But preference, as defined above, is defined for a
voter.

That's plain enough from the sentence itself. But if you don't like
preference because you feel that it's difficult to define precisely, what
I'm saying is that that nonspecific definition is all that's needed.
It doesn't matter what the order-relation is, and it doesn't matter how it
relates to the person for whom it's stated, as long as those details,
whatever they are, are constant with respect to the election.  My criteria
work even with that nonspecific definition of preference.

Of course, in places where I've said "likes X more than Y", or something
like that, it should be reworded using the word "prefers".

That sounds like what Markus said about preference, but the difference is
that he was using "prefer" where most of us would say "vote". In my
criteria, I use it for what most of us would actually call "prefer".

It wasn't really necessary to spell out the meaning of a voter preferring X
to Y, because what I said was self-evident. I just wanted to emphasize that
no more definition of preference is needed.

Of course we know what preference means. Someone prefers one presidential
candidate to another if s/he would rather the first candidate be president
instead of the 2nd one. But then someone could quibble with what "rather"
means. My answer to that has always been that we can't and needn't define
every word we use. That's what the dictionary is for.

Sure, dictionaries have circular sequences of definitions, and even
mathematical terms & symbols are defined in terms of words too.  But it's
enough to at least define things that aren't in the dictionary, or which are
meant differently from their dictionary definition.

Or a definition using a hypothetical experiment: If, should  that person
have the opportunity to appoint X or Y as president, s/he would appoint X,
then s/he prefers X to Y as president.

But if you aren't comfortable with the meaning of preference, then that's
why I suggested the above definition that doesn't define it any farther than
as an  order relation between 2 candidates, for a voter.

By the way, I haven't defined voting a preference as explicitly as I should:

A voter votes a preference for X over Y if: 1) S/he prefers X to Y, and 2)
S/he votes X over Y.

A voter falsifies a preference if s/he votes X over Y and doesn't prefer X
to Y.

Mike Ossipoff