[EM] A small change in the automatic ranking line option definition

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 22:19:10 PST 2004

When a voter has chosen the equal ranking line option,  the equal ranking
should occur only if there's a circular tie _containing candidates above and
below the line_ , and none of the candidates above the line win. If those
conditions are met, then the candidates above the line are all promoted to
1st place in that voter's ranking, and the election count repeated.

That avoids repeating  the count when all or none of the circular tie
members are above the line, because under those conditions the equal-ranking
and count repetition aren't needed with methods meeting the Smith Criterion.

Of course, when a ranking has been changed in that way, it keeps its equal
ranking after that, no matter what. That goes without saying, since I didn't
say anything about changing it back, but I wanted to say it for clarity.

Mike Ossipoff