[EM] Condorcet for public proposals - IMV/MMV & MAM-d

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Sun Feb 8 23:22:02 PST 2004

Hi all,

Well, after digesting Eric Gorr's deterministic variant of MAM (if he,
and I, understand it correctly), I have rewritten my IMV proposal to
use that instead of Smith PC, under the new name "Multiple Matchup
Voting" - since it is based on ranking the results of multiple
matchups.   I've also added Adam's suggestion of hiding the Pairwise
Matrix in favor of simplicity.

The terminology is probably a little rough (since I'm writing this late
at night), but I still welcome your comments.  I think I have a good
idea how to implement this, but I want to make sure I understand the
basic algorithm first.

-- Ernie P.

Multiple Matchup Voting:
  Improving the Roots of Democracy

  http://RadicalCentrism.org/mm_voting.html

  A. The Problem
  Voter participation and majority rule are often considered the heart
of democracy. However, the most common form of voting in the U.S. --
"one person, one vote" (technically known as Plurality or First Past
the Post) -- implicitly assumes there are only two candidates. When
there are more than two candidates, not only is there a risk that no
candidate will get an absolute majority, but voters are faced with the
dilemma between voting 'strategically' (for the lesser of two evils)
vs. voting 'sincerely' (what their conscience feel is the 'best'
candidate). This also tends to promote a two-party system, which
despite its many merits (such as the ability to ensure governable
coalitions), is vulnerable to systemic bias (as evidenced by low voter
turnout, due to a perception that neither party offers a meaningful
choice). The end result is that candidates lack a true majoritarian
mandate, due both to low voter turnout and the possibility of a split
vote.

  B. Our Solution
  To address these problems, we recommend an alternate election system
we call Multiple Matchup Voting [1], where voter rank the candidates in
order of preference. Multiple Matchup Voting, or MMV, treats the
ballots as the result of simultaneous one-on-one matchups, like a
round-robin tournament. Each voter's ballot describes the results of
one complete round of matchups between each pair of candidates. The
results of the matchups are used to compile an ordered list of
candidates. This guarantees[2] that the winner is the majority
preference under all circumstances, regardless of the number of
candidates.

  C. The Benefits
  This system allows voters to fully express their preferences among the
available candidates, and generally makes it possible for them to vote
sincerely without having to worry about strategy [3]. It also tends to
discourage mudslinging in multi-candidate elections, since there is an
incentive to have the other candidate's supporters vote for you as
second or third place. Perhaps more importantly, it allows
non-traditional and third-party candidates to run without fear of
becoming spoilers, increasing the range of meaningful choices available
to voters.

  D. Multiple Matchup Voting
  The formal procedure for MMV has five phases:

  1. Voting
  Each voter votes for all the candidates they like, indicating order of
preference if any.

  Consider an example in a five-candidate election, where a voter likes
A most, B next, and C even less, but doesn't care at all for D or E. In
that case, their ballot would be ranked "A > B > C > D = E". This can
be shortened to "A > B > C" since unranked candidates are considered to
be at the bottom and equivalent. Similarly, if another voter liked E
most, considered D and C tied for second, and ranked B over A, their
ballot would be "E > D = C > B > A" (with the last "> A" being
optional, since its redundant).

  2.Matchups Defined
  Each ballot defines the result of one round of matchups between all
the candidates in a election.

  Thus, the ballot A > B > C would be interpreted as:
         A > B, A > C, A > D, A > E
         B > C, B > D, B > E
         C > D, C > E

  while "E > D = C > B > A" would be:
         E > D, E > C, E > B, E > A
         D > B, D > A
         C > B, C > A
         B > A

  3. Matchups Counted
  When all the balots are counted, this gives a final score for each
matchup. [4].

  Say we have nine voters, who voted as follows
   4: A > B > C
   3: E > D = C > B
   2: C > A > D

  this gives:
         6/3: A > B
         4/5: A > C
         6/3: A > D
         6/3: A > E
         4/5: B > C
         4/5: B > D
         4/3: B > E
         6/0: C > D
         6/3: C > E
         2/3: D > E

  Note how some matchups add up to less than 9, because some candidates
were ranked equal by some voters. Also, the total number of matchups
for N candidates is always N * (N-1)/2, or 10 for N = 5.

  4. Matchups Ranked
  Next, the matchups are ranked in order of the largest winner. If two
matchups have the same winner, the one with the smallest loser (largest
margin) is listed first. If the matchups are completely identical, it
is called a pairwise tie; while common in small committees, such ties
are extremely unlikely in public elections.

  The ballots above would thus be reordered to give:
         6/0: C > D
         6/3: A > B
         6/3: A > D
         6/3: A > E
         6/3: C > E
         5/4: C > A
         5/4: C > B
         5/4: D > B
         5/4: E > B
         3/2: E > D

  5. Candidates ordered
  This list of matchups is traversed in order, from the largest win
down. The candidates are sorted into a list that is consistent with
that order, with the following caveats:

  (i) In the unlikely event that a matchup later in the list conflicts
with the previously-determined order[5], that matchup is discarded
(this is why the ordering of matchups is significant).

(ii) In the even unlikelier case where several members of a pairwise
tie might conflict with each other, all such conflicting matchups are
discarded. [6].

Stepping through the ordered list of matchups, we find (using (X,Y) for
unordered candidates):
         1: C > D
         2: A > B, C > D
         3: A > B, (A,C) > D
         4: A > (B,E), (A,C) > D
         5: A > B, (A,C) > (D,E)
         6: C > A > (B,D,E) [implies C > B]
         7: C > A > (B,D,E) [thus unchanged]
         8: C > A > D > (B,E)
         9: C > A > D > E > B
         10: C > A > D > E > B [E > D discarded as inconsistent]

  6. Winner selection
  Thus, with MMV will always have a strict ordering of candidates
(unless all the pairwise matchups for multiple candidate are precisely
identical). The top candidate, obviously, is the winner. If there
really is a true tie among the top candidates, then the winner would
need to be chosen from the top candidates by random draw, or some
external mechanism.

  E. Conclusions

Since Multiple Matchup Voting uses all the information available, and
weights larger majorities over lesser ones (in case of conflict), it is
always gauranteed to reflect the majority preference of the electorate.
While this sort of electoral reform may not solve all our political
problems, it will help involve more voters -- and candidates -- in the
electoral process, which can only strengthen our democratic
institutions.
Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
  Founder, RadicalCentrism.org
  February 8, 2004

  RadicalCentrism.org is an anti-partisan think tank based near
Sacramento, California, which is seeking to develop a new paradigm of
civil society encompassing politics, economics, psychology, and
philosophy. We are dedicated to developing and promoting the ideals of
Reality, Character, Community & Humility as expressed in our Radical
Centrist Manifesto:  The Ground Rules of Civil Society.

  Notes
[1]
MMV could also stand for Majority Maximization Voting, as it is based
on a deterministic form of Steve Eppley's Maximize Affirmed Majorities
(MAM) system, which in turn is a variant of Tideman's well-studied
Ranked Pairs algorithm. See http://www.wikiepedia.org/wiki?condorcet
for more details. This deterministic variant was first suggested to me
by Eric Gorr of http://www.condorcet.org/.
  [2]
Under a suitable definition of majority preference. See Note 5.
[3]
To be precise, it is mathematically impossible to have a perfect voting
system free of any strategic considerations. However, with Maximize
Affirmed Majorities sincere voting is usually the optimal strategy. It
is theoretically possible for one party to attempt to vote
'insincerely' (at the risk of electing a non-preferred candidate) to
avoid electing the true consensus winner, but in that case there are
defensive strategies that other parties can use to preserve the
intended winner. The deterministic variant(somemtimes called MAM-d) is
not quite as well studied as MAM, but so far appears to possess all the
same desireable properties.
  [4]
  This tabulation is usually done via what is called a 'pairwise
matrix', where the rows indicate votes -for- a candidate, and the
columns indicate votes -against- a candidate. This is often used in
voting systems associated with the Condorcet Criteria, which states
that any candidate which is unanimously preferred to each other
candidate on the basis of pairiwse matchups should win the election.

  For example, given the following results from 9 voters:
         4 votes of A > B > C (over D and E)
         3 votes of D > C > B (over A and E)
         2 votes of B > A (over C, D and E)

  The pairwise matrix (sometimes called the Condorcet matrix) would be:
         A       B       C       D       E
A       -       4       6       6       6
B       5       -       6       6       9
C       3       3       -       5       7
D       3       3       3       -       3
E       0       0       0       0       -

  [5]
This can only happen if we have a 'rock-paper-scissors' situation (also
called a circular tie), where A beats B, and B beats C, but C beat A.
This is very unlikely in normal public elections -- since each
individual ballot requires a strict ranking among candidates -- but is
possible if, for example, a significant fraction of the population
casts ballots that don't reflect a linear Left-Right political
spectrum.
  [6]
  For example, say that the current ordering is "A > B, C > D", and
there is a pairwise tie between the next two items, "B > C" and "D >
A". Since the former would imply "A > D" and the latter would imply "C
 > B", they are inconsistent with each other, and would both be
discarded. Again, this is an extremely unnatural occurence, but is
included here for theoretical completeness.