[EM] VSB fails the Majority Criterion

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Feb 6 13:53:09 PST 2004

Consider the following example:

51 ABC
25 BCA
24 CBA

Voter Space Borda gives A voters a score of

51*49-49*51=0,

while B voters get a score of

25*75+(24-51)*(51-24) = 1199

which is greater than zero.

If the A voters had truncated or voted CB as often as BC this wouldn't
have happened.

This can be viewed as a clone problem, too, so apparently VSB doesn't
completely neutralize clone sensitivity.

However, it is true that Voter Space Above Median Approval (VSAMA) does
satisfy the Majority Criterion, and also strongly (if not completely)
discourages betrayal of favorite.

If I had to have a pure ranked ballot method named after me, I would
probably choose VSAMA.

But, fortunately my name is not VSAMA :-)

Forest