[EM] Markus: My posting replied to a claim that you'd just made.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 02:29:05 PST 2004

Markus--

You said:

your latest mail doesn't make any sense

I reply:

My posting to which you refer shows that Plurality passes your  criterion
that you posted as allegedly equivalent to SDSC.

You posted that criterion of yours, to show that SDSC could be written
without mentioning sincere preferences. I showed that your criteion is not
equivalent to SDSD, because Plurality passes your criterion, though
Plurality fails SDSC.

Replying to your posting of your alleged SDSC-equivalent by showing that it
is not equivalent to SDSC makes sense.

What doesn't make any sense is your attempt at evasion, to which I'm
replying now.

You continued:

in so far as
you wrote several times that you don't want me to
suggest how to word things.

I reply:

...but you already did post your suggestion for how I should word SDSC. So
it's a bit late to start following my request that you not tell me how to
word things. And then I showed you that your alleged SDSC equivalent is not
equivalent to SDSC, because Plurality passes your criterion.

It turns out that there are equivalent wordings for my criteria, including
SDSC,  that don't mention sincere preferences (though your criterion that
you posted is not one of them). You'd prefer criteria that don't mention
sincere preferences. You've said that you now don't want to tell me how to
word things, so that must mean that you won't complain anymore that you'd
prefer criteria that don't mention sincere preferences.

You continued:

Therefore, I suggest that
you should look e.g. how Steve Eppley words things:
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley

I reply:

It isn't entirely clear what you're talking about. You posted a criterion
that you wrote to show that a criterion equivalent to SDSC can be written
without mentioning sincere preferences, only mentioning cast ballots. I was
replying to that. And so it isn't clear why you think that how someone else
words things is relevant to the question of whether your criterion is
equivalent to SDSC. I made it quite clear that that was the issue to which I
was replying.

Mike Ossipoff