[EM] Is range voting the panacea we need?

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Wed Dec 15 20:30:19 PST 2004

Being able to express ratings on a ballot is more expressive than only
being able to express rankings. I think more expressive is a good
thing.

On the back end, we could silently collapse the ratings into rankings
by sorting the candidates, then apply Condorcet, IRV, etc. But, those
make assumptions about the relative strengths of preference for the
ranked choices and we don't need to make assumptions since we actually
have relative strength data in the ballot.

Straight rating summation is vulnerable to strategic voting. Perhaps in
this study people voted honestly because it obviously didn't matter and
so there was no incentive to vote strategically. In a real election the
stakes would be higher.

My favorite solution is to run Instant Runoff style disqualification
cycles over Normalized Ratings (IRNR). I believe this method is
strategy proof and passes a handful of other desirable election method
criterion.

In general, the more (good,accurate,honest) information we get out of
the voters, the better we should be able to maximize social utility.
Conceivably, we could create a ballot that records a whole probability
distribution from each voter about each choice expressing how much they
like each choice and how sure they are and how they believe they might
be wrong about a choice. Summing all such ballots up we ought to arrive
at a choice that most likely makes the most people the happiest. I
believe this level of detail is excessive for all but a telepathically
linked cyborg society.