[EM] Re: "Implied ranked choice" method

Rob Brown rob at karmatics.com
Tue Aug 31 15:58:18 PDT 2004

Eric Gorr <eric <at> ericgorr.net> writes:

>You are welcome to show that such a strategic advantage would exist
>for MAM, using an example of a good Condorcet method.

Not sure I understand you.  If there is not an advantage to ranking them
explicitly, why would you want to do so?  On the one hand, you say you would
demand it, but on the other hand, you seem to say there is no advantage to it?

> At 10:09 PM +0000 8/31/04, Rob Brown wrote:
> >I'm not sure how you can say that people will demand such an option.
>
> Because I would demand such flexibility. I do not consider myself to
> be eccentric. It is unlikely that any candidate would ever rank the
> available options the same way I would and I would likely trust my
> opinion above all others in this situation.

So, do you really "demand" to be able to do that today?  You actually go into
the polls and say "please give me a ballot where I can rank the candidates,
since voting for a single candidate is unsufficient"?  What do you say when
they say "I'm sorry, you have to play by the same rules as everyone else"?

You may not be an eccentric, but you are one of the 0.00001 percent of the
population that cares enough about such things to participate in an election
methods mailing list.

You may be correct that it is unlikely that they would rank them the way you
would.  Likewise, if your first choice candidate is elected, he will be
unlikely to make all decisions in office as you would.  And?  Seems to be the
nature of representation, and we deal with it.

As to voice interfaces...hmmm.  Do you really want to see reform happen or
would you rather just debate things day in and day out?  You seem to want some
absolute perfect system that will remain a pipe dream forever, rather than
advocating something that can actually happen in the real world.  (actually,
even with over 20 candidates, I'd take the interface I did over any voice
driven system, but that's just me).

-rob