[EM] Re: "Implied ranked choice" method

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 15:45:23 PDT 2004

Rob Brown  > Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 11:10 PM
> So, can you tell me a significant real world advantage to  allowing voters
> explicitly rank them, other than simply speculating that they  will demand it
> if it is not offered?  Will the election actually produce
> significantly "better" results if people are allowed to do so?

If  you have multi-member districts so that you can elect a properly representative legislature (or
council), the voter must mark preferences against the candidates so that the votes can, when
necessary, be transferred in accordance with the wishes of  respective voters.  If you do not make
the votes transferable, you cannot obtain full PR.  I would suggest that full PR is a significantly
better result than either no PR or very poor PR.

James