[EM] Re: "Implied ranked choice" method

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Tue Aug 31 14:38:43 PDT 2004

At 9:25 PM +0000 8/31/04, Rob Brown wrote:
>Eric Gorr <eric <at> ericgorr.net> writes:
>>  At 8:50 PM +0000 8/31/04, Rob Brown wrote:
>>  >Has anyone ever proposed such a thing?
>>
>>  Yes.
>
>What do they call it?  Is there any site out there which talks about it?

It's just a variant of Proxy voting.

The GVI at http://electionmethods.org/GVI.htm does what you are
talking about, although it is set up around a political party.

>Yes, my concern is that if you don't keep it simple (people still having it as
>their only option to vote for one and only one candidate)....

I don't understand what would be so complex about adding several
easily recognizable names to the list. Simply pick one and have the
rankings essentially auto-filled for you.

If you choose to not pick one from this list, you can do the rankings
yourself. I can't imagine this would not be important for general
acceptance. People will want the option even if most do not use it.