[EM] Re: group strategy equilibria: no sincere CW

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Aug 25 00:09:34 PDT 2004

Anthony Duff asked:
> I am interested in the question of the frequency
> of non-existence of a sincere CW.  I personally
> do not know that it is probable.

Here's another reason to occasionally expect
sincere cycles at the top, when we're electing
candidates to offices: Candidates want to win!
In other words, they'll position themselves on
the issues in such a way as to give themselves
a good shot at winning.  Assuming a Condorcetian
voting method, there figures to be a bunch of
candidates competing to be the most popular
centrist compromise, adopting positions similar
to each other.  I think this implies simulations
using random electorates provide a reasonable
estimate of the frequency of sincere cycles
at the top.

Peter Ordeshook's book, Game Theory and Political
Theory, has a table on p.58 listing such estimates.
Here are its percentages assuming a large number
of voters:

   #alternatives       noCW fraction
         3                 .088
         4                 .176
         5                 .251
         6                 .315
         7                 .369

(Interpret the #alternatives column as the number
of alternatives competing to be the centrist
compromise.)

--Steve