[EM] Using weights to compensate multiple votes (Any feedback ? please !??)

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 24 18:02:15 PDT 2004

Warren Schudy wrote:
> As I understand it, your scheme, unlike regular approval,
> fails the Favorite Betrayal Criterion (FBC).
-snip-

And fails clone independence.  A huge spoiler problem.
It would maintain the "two-party, one nominee per party"
system.

I'm not sure why Philippe thinks it's a problem if each
voter can select more than one candidate.  What criterion
does that violate, and how is that criterion justified?

> BTW, I just noticed that (regular) approval is equivalent to
> Condorcet methods with the stipulation that all voters must
> consider all candidates to be in one of two equivalent sets
> (aka dichotomous). This is very similar to a statement in
> the book "Approval Voting", by Braham or something.

Steven Brams, I presume.  But it's such an unimportant
property, since it's laughably unrealistic to assume
voters' sincere preferences are dichotomous when there
are more than two candidates.  It's a product of the
"publish or perish" syndrome, most likely.  Why not
go a little further and assume the voters' sincere
preferences are such that they are unanimously agreed
there's one particular candidate that should be selected?
That would be only slightly more implausible.

--Steve