[EM] Re: group strategy equilibria

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Tue Aug 24 05:27:01 PDT 2004

[same post as before, now with word-wrapping -- sorry...]

Hi folks!

Just to repeat myself [another time ;-] : We must consider NON-DETERMINISTIC methods like ROACC (see my post on the "recommendations" thread) since they are THE ONLY methods which ensure at least weak group strategy equilibria (weak GSE, i.e. a situation in which there is a counter-threat to every strategic threat)!

Here's a short version of the argument again: With a deterministic method, there is never even a weak GSE as long as there is no sincere CW (which is quite probable as we know!). This is because whatever candidate A gets elected, there is always a majority prefering some B who can elect B by voting "B > all others" without there being any counter-strategy to this threat. With a non-deterministic method like ROACC which draws the winner from a probability distribution P on few but enough candidates (log n  out of  n  candidates will suffice in general), there *are* weak GSEs!

By the way, ROACC is also VERY SIMPLE and can even be performed by raising hands without even using pen or paper!

Sincerely, Jobst