[EM] equilibria

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Aug 23 16:30:57 PDT 2004

James G-A wrote:
> Adam wrote:
>> James, this argument has been advanced before.
>> Look up Nash Equilibria in the archives.
>
> 	Okay, I did a quick search.
-snip-
> Mike wrote:
>> As we on EM have been using the term for voting systems,
>> a Nash equilibrium is an outcome, and the votes
>> configuration that caused it, that no set of voters
>> can improve on for themselves by voting differently.
-snip-

Mike's definition here is incorrect.  He gave the
definition for a "group strategy equilibrium."
Those equilibria are rarer than Nash equilibria,
which merely require that no _individual_ voter
can get an outcome she prefers more by changing
her vote (holding all the other votes constant).
--Steve