[EM] Definition of preferential voting

Toplak Jurij jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Sun Aug 22 07:48:34 PDT 2004

Steve, thanks for pointing out the Robert's Rules.

Both definitions you mention are quite common: the one that uses
"preferential voting" as a synonim for "the group of methods that allow
voters to rank the candidates" as well as the one that uses "preferential
voting" as a synonim for one specific method. I guess Robert's uses the
former.
Let me also mention the understanding of Karvonen. According to him, STV (I
mean multimember district STV here), Open list PR, and even Block Voting are
forms of preferential voting. Alternative Vote (IRV), however, is not!!!
See: Lauri Karvonen "Preferential voting: incidence and effects",
International Political Science Review, 25, 2004, 203-226.

And to answer Steve's comment: Yes, I will mention several ways in which
people have used the term. I'll try to give an overview of definitions given
by all the leading authors in the field.
Best,
Jure