[EM] Definition of preferential voting

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Aug 22 07:08:06 PDT 2004

Hi,

Check out the definition of "preferential voting" in
the Scott, Foresman book on Robert's Rules of Order.
I don't have a copy but my recollection is that it
defines preferential voting as any voting method in
which the voters express their orders of preference--
my words, not theirs--and it offers IRV as one example.
Their use of IRV as an example could explain why some
people now believe the term is a synonym for IRV.

Perhaps in Toplak Jurij's paper he should mention
the several ways in which people have used the term,
before offering the definition he believes is most
appropriate.   --Steve