[EM] IRV & Eliminations

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Wed Aug 18 08:43:47 PDT 2004

Never mind...the answer is obvious. If enough clones are running in
the same race, it is possible that they will all tie for least votes
and all be eliminated even though one of them would have won should
they have been eliminated one at a time.

At 11:16 AM -0400 8/18/04, Eric Gorr wrote:
>I was looking at the IRV page on wikipedia
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Instant-runoff_voting)
>and noticed in the tie-breaking rules that when one eliminates all
>of the candidates at once who are tied for least votes that IRV
>would then violate independence of clones.
>
>Can anyone demonstrate this?
>----

== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu