[EM] Why IRV is better than Condorcet

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Mon Aug 2 08:30:23 PDT 2004

At 6:57 PM -0400 7/29/04, Warren Schudy wrote:
>Whether or not approval or
>condorcet or IRV produces the highest societal utility given honest voting
>is basically irrelevant for public elections, since voters do not, in
>practice, vote honestly in public elections.

Why make this assumption that that voters would not, in practice,
vote honestly?

It seems a rather unreasonable assumption to make, at least with
voting systems which are resistant to strategic manipulation.

With the better Condorcet methods I have yet to see a yet where
strategic manipulation, without near perfect information (which
requires accurate information beyond the ability of any pre-election
poll to provide), would not have a risk of electing a candidate all
sides consider poor.

However, if this perfect information was available, as it likely
would be for small groups where all the voters knew everyone else and
would how others would vote, it may be possible to vote in such a way
as to guarantee an acceptable outcome. But, I would guess that such
guarantees would be very hard to come by in practice. Since it is not
reasonable to assume that just one side would attempt such
manipulations, the risk of selecting the worst possible candidate
would again likely be unacceptable.