[EM] Re: A "Runoff" type method for resolution of cycles in condorcet

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 28 01:47:01 PDT 2004

Commenting on this Condorcet completion idea of  Ken Taylor's:

>1) determine the Schwartz set. From this point on, only deal with the
>candidates inside the schwartz set -- those outside have no more effect on
>the election.
>2) For the candidates within the schwartz set, drop the candidate with the
>least number of first-choice votes. This step is why i call it a "runoff"
>type method.
>3) Dropping that candidate drops all defeats that candidate may have over
>the other candidates that are left in the schwartz set.
>4) Calculate the new schwartz set. If there's a winner, stop. If not, repeat
>until there is a winner.

Dave Ketchum commented (Tue.Apr.27):

Reason I choke on this thread is that this idea inflicts strategy on
Condorcet I have to warn my voters that ranking even a minor candidate in
front of me can get me discarded.

I assume that in (1) "those outside (the Shwartz set) have no more effect on the election"
means that in (2) "drop the candidate with the least number of first-choice votes" refers
to "first-choices" AMONG the (current) Shwartz set.

Am I right? If so, then Dave's concern doesn't apply because "a minor candidate" wouldn't
make it into the Shwartz set.

Chris Benham