[EM] A "Runoff" type method for resolution of cycles incondorcet

Ken Taylor taylok2 at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Apr 27 07:32:37 PDT 2004

> At 10:21 AM -0400 4/27/04, Ken Taylor wrote:
> >I'm dropping the weakest candidate, as defined by number of first
> >choice votes, which causes all their defeats of other candidates
> >to be dropped.
>
> What will you do when two or more candidates are tied for least first
> choice votes?

I'm not sure. There are probably several different ways to deal with this,
and I don't think it's very relevant to evaluating the procedure in general.
What does IRV do if there are two candidates tied for last place in a round?
What does one do in SSD if there are two defeats that are tied for smallest
magnitude? Tie-situations are a sticky point of pretty much any election
method.

Ken