[EM] A "Runoff" type method for resolution of cycles incondorcet

Ken Taylor taylok2 at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Apr 27 07:23:01 PDT 2004

> >The other day I thought of an interesting way to complete condorcet if
> >there's no CW. But it seems simple enough that I figure it must have been
> >proposed before.
>
> Yes, it has - or at least appears to be the same thing.
>
> See:
>
> Schwartz Sequential Dropping (SSD)
> http://electionmethods.org/CondorcetEx.htm

No, this isn't SSD. SSD drops the weakest defeat in each cycle. I'm dropping
the weakest candidate, as defined by number of first choice votes, which
causes all their defeats of other candidates to be dropped. I'd be really
surprised if this turned out to be equivalent to SSD! In fact, I'm sure
there's a simple example that shows that they're not equivalent, but I'm
running late and don't have time to concoct one right now.

Ken