[EM] CR with AERLO

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Apr 24 20:25:01 PDT 2004

Mike,

 --- MIKE OSSIPOFF <nkklrp at hotmail.com> a écrit : >
> AERLO isn't just for rank methods. AERLO is useful for CR too, and maybe for
> the various other rating-ballotng methods that have been proposed.
>
> With AERLO, the voter in CR could rate sincerely, while still fully
> protecting his above-line candidates, as if he'd given them all maximum
> rating. In fact, if the voter also applied the automatic trunation line
> option (ATLO), at the same point, his ballot would optimally help the
> above-line candidates in the event that none of them initially won.

About a year ago I suggested a three-rank method called "Conditional Approval"
which is similar to CR with AERLO.  First top-rank votes are counted.  Then
the second-rank votes are counted, from ballots which put the initial winner in
the last rank.

The problem with stopping here, after two counts, is that you are disadvantaged
if your favorite was the initial leader, but you hate the second count leader.
The "line" (which is effectively above the last rank) does you no good.  It
fails to "fully protect" above-the-line candidates.

I suggested having counts until the leader ceases to change.  (This will happen
eventually, since ballots can only compress, not "uncompress" the top two ranks.)  A
problem with this is that it isn't monotonic.  It becomes possible that compressing
the top two ranks will worsen the result, due to the response of other voters.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr