[EM] Re: IRV Letter

Jeffrey O'Neill jco8 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 23 13:16:15 PDT 2004

Mike,

I'm mostly a lurker on this list, but I'd like to respond to your letter.

(1) IRV is better than plurality.
I'm assuming that you and most everyone on this list agrees with this.

(2) It is easier to explain IRV than Condorcet.
Convincing a group to change from plurality to any other voting system is
really hard.  IRV is easier to explain because it is similar to a runoff
election.  While Condorcet isn't so hard to explain when a winner exists,
the concept of cycles is very difficult to explain to the average
person.  I think your letter is much too complicated for its intended
audience.  People aren't going to get it.

(3) IRV could be a stepping stone to Condorcet.
I don't think it makes sense to sabotage efforts to enact IRV.  If anything
I think it makes more sense to support IRV as a stepping stone to
Condorcet.  Once people are familiar with ranked ballots, they can more
easily be persuaded to consider Condorcet.

(4) Approval doesn't help get to Condorcet.
While approval voting is certainly easy to explain, you have to get around
peoples' knee-jerk reactions of "one person one vote." (I know that OPOV is
only about redistricting, but most people don't).  Also approval doesn't
provide you with a good stepping stone to Condorcet.

(5) Condorcet and Approval may violate state constitutions.
This is beyond the scope of this email, but something to think about.

In summary, the practical and legal issues are as important as the
theoretical issues.

Jeff