[EM] calculating margins in condorcet

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Tue Apr 20 08:17:04 PDT 2004

On Apr 20, 2004, at 7:05 AM, Stephane Rouillon wrote:

> Nice, and I suppose you could generalize it
> to cycles using the Condorcet ranking to get your normalizing scheme.
> For example:
> A>B: 30/20
> B>C: 35/15
> C>A: 32/28
> Using ranked pair (margin): A>B>C
> Thus: A(30), B(20), C(8,1...)
> Using ranked pair (winning votes): B>C>A
> Thus: B(35), C(15), A(1,8...)
>
> The only problem I can see is a huge drop when sligthly changing the
> votes or
> the counting method.

Yeah, its extremely model-dependent, but then again so is everything
when there's cycles involved, since you don't even have a single
Condorcet winner.    For Curt's case, where we're just reporting the
results of a Condorcet single-winner election, typically the interest
will be focused on the top 2 or 3 candidates, and this would certainly
explain "who won and by how much."   Even for the lower-tier
candidates, it would give a sense of 'how far they are behind the
previous candidate.'

Of course, it would be important to publish the full result matrix for
real analysis, but this sort of "effective vote" does provide a
convenient shorthand.

Still, its  a bit of a hack, and I'm open to hearing better ideas.  One
option is simply to renormalize the total to the actual number of
voters, which doesn't change the percentages but makes the actual vote
count come out correctly (which otherwise might bother people).  On the
other hand, that would make the winner's votes come up less than they
actually were, which might create a political problem by implying a
lack of majority support (of the type IRV supporters love to point
out).

-- Ernie P.