[EM] Open Voting Consortium for e-voting?

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Fri Apr 16 14:30:01 PDT 2004

On Apr 16, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Ken Johnson wrote:

>> From: Ernest Prabhakar <drernie at mac.com>
>> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:12:01 -0700
>>
>>> ...  Is there any way other groups could  get access to summaries
>>> (e..g, the pairwise matrix) or scrubbed subset  of ballots, for
>>> research purposes.
>>>
>> Certainly precinct totals should be made available.  We haven't done
>> the threat analysis to determine whether or not individual ballots
>> should be made available.
>>
> In my view, public disclosure of precinct totals should be construed
> as a potential violation of voter secrecy. If a high percentage of
> people in my precinct vote a particular way, one could draw a highly
> probable inference about how I voted based on the precinct totals.
> Politicians may show favoritism toward or bias against certain
> precincts based on their voting patterns, or may use the information
> for targeted political marketing campaigns.
>
> Furthermore, public disclosure of ballots, even devoid of any voter or
> precinct identity information, could also be construed as a secrecy
> violation because the ballots could be used to determine correlations
> between different ballot issues. For example, if the election includes
> a ballot initiative for Electoral Reform, one could use the ballots to
> determine the political constituencies of Electoral Reform advocates.
> This kind of information might make some politicians less likely to
> support Electoral Reform.
>
> Of course, the ballot information could be obtained by conventional
> polling methods (e.g., exit polling), but in this case the voters have
> the option of withholding or misrepresenting their views. From my
> perspective, the only kind of "research purpose" for which ballots can
> be legitimately used is to determine the election outcome. Ballots and
> precinct-level totals should only be available to election officials
> and auditors who are obligated to maintain such information in
> confidence.
>
> Ken Johnson

 From my perspective, what would be most useful for research is
-aggregate-  data across the entire electorate broken down by contest.
  For plurality, that's pretty much what we get already, so its not all
that interesting.  For ranked-order ballots, its a lot more
information, but still it should be pretty straightforward to compile
and release.

If broken down by contest, that should avoid the correlation concerns.
Would that work for you?

-- Ernie P.