[EM] Approval-Elimination IRV fails FBC

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Apr 11 18:39:04 PDT 2004

Paul,

 --- Paul Kislanko <kislanko at airmail.net> a écrit : >
> Kevin writes:
> AER > ERIRV > ERBucklin(whole) in my opinion.  My gripe with ERBucklin
> is still that the voter has no good basis on which to decide whether to
> rank equally, or strictly rank two candidates.
>
> The voter's basis for ranking a candidate higher, less than, or equal to
> another candidate is independent of the method.

I was scratching my head for ten minutes before I realized you must not
understand what my point is.

The reason ERBucklin(whole) is suggested is so that voters can insincerely tie
candidates at the top, instead of ranking their favorite beneath compromises.
What I am saying is that voters would not have enough information to decide
whether and when to use this option.

The basis for relative ranking of candidates is certainly NOT independent of
the method, though.  Certainly not with Bucklin.  I'm not sure if you meant
that as an absolute rule, or just generally.

> If what you're saying is
> that the voter doesn't know how to vote insincerely to trick the method
> into electing her candidate under false pretenses, I would say that is a
> good thing.

Is it "false pretenses" when it's clear that no one should vote sincerely?
By and large, everyone should use Approval strategy, to ensure that they
get every chance at getting one of their picks.  In *theory* some strict
ranking could get you a better result, but it would be next to impossible
to be sure when it might and when it might not.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr