[EM] Bucklin, QLTD

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Apr 6 21:18:01 PDT 2004

Rob,

 --- Rob LeGrand <honky1998 at yahoo.com> a écrit :
> Here's a question I thought about quite a bit a while ago but never posted
> until now that there's talk of Bucklin on the list:  Which candidate should
> win the following Bucklin election?
>
> 25:Brown>Jones>Davis>Smith
> 26:Davis>Smith>Brown>Jones
> 49:Jones>Smith>Brown>Davis
>
> Smith?  Jones?

I agree that Jones wins in Bucklin.

Woodall proposes a method called "Quota-Limited Trickle-Down" or "QLTD" which
seems to be equivalent to Bucklin, except that when there is a tie (i.e. two
candidates achieve a majority at the same stage), the winner is the one who needs
the smallest percentage of the last stage's votes in order to have a majority.
(Assuming I'm understanding it correctly.)  By that method, Jones wins, because he
needs only 2/25 of the second stage votes to have a majority, whereas Smith needs
over 2/3rds of them.

I wonder if Woodall's version is slightly better at reducing regret.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr