[EM] Re: Approval STV

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Apr 5 14:43:02 PDT 2004

Interesting idea.

In this context (where Approval scores are used to eliminate candidates)
it might be better to use reverse weighted mean approval (RWMA).

To me it seems that RWMA would be best if relatively few candidates have
to be eliminated before someone gets a majority, and that regular WMA
would be better if most of the candidates have to be eliminated before one
gets a majority.

Maybe the reverse symmetric version that you once suggested would be the
best compromise for this context.

Forest