[EM] Does the 'Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives Criterion' Imply...

Richard Moore moore3t1 at cox.net
Fri Apr 2 21:44:01 PST 2004

Ken Johnson wrote:

 >Richard,
 >An alternative to giving up IIA would be to give up the criterion
 >that the voting method must be a rank method.

Yes, in fact I don't hold that as a requirement. I support Approval
voting.

However, that doesn't mean I have to like IIA. I don't buy into the
idea that adding information to or removing information from a
method's inputs should not change the results. Nor should anyone who
believes there is merit in pairwise ordinal methods. I choose to give
it up as well.

But what did you think of INI?

  -- Richard