[EM] questions about SF's version of IRV

sdfgdfg sdfgdfs primetonal at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 23:37:03 PDT 2004

Hello, I am wondering what you think of the IRV voting
system being implimented in SF, specifically:

It seems that voters will be only allowed to rank
their top three choices, instead of ranking the whole
field? Does this make a difference? If so how would
this type of difference effect a race with 5
candidates and an incumbent, vs. 20 candidates in a
non incumbent race? Is it theoretically possible if
the 20 candidates formed 3 "alliances" which only
voted for each other, then a 51+ percent majority
could not be achieved?

Is anyone aware if the SF system will allow people to
only choose one choice, I guess what is called
"truncation"?

Keep in mind that this would be a very first try for
IRV, so even with the possibility open for strategic
voting people would very likely not know what to do
anyways.

Thanks