[EM] Re: Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #607 - 3 msgs

Jeffrey O'Neill jco8 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 26 18:06:08 PDT 2004

>From: Bart Ingles <bartman at netgate.net>
>Subject: Re: [EM] Re: IRV letter
>
> > (b) and/or  point to some computer simulations which show something
>
>Merrill's simulations show plenty.

To be specific, Merrill's simulations show that IRV is much better than
PR.  Merrill is fairly supportive of IRV in his book.

Another point is the we have an entrenched two-party system in the US and
that isn't going to change anytime soon (though I wish it would).  Under a
strong two-party system, most elections will have two strong candidates and
a few weak candidates.  In such a situation, IRV will generally elect the
Condorcet winner.  Until we have PR for legislatures it doesn't make much
of a difference whether we use IRV or Condorcet for single-winner
elections.  To bring back my previous point, the practical issues are as
important as the theoretical issues.

IRV may be stepping stone for Condorcet as well as STV.  Get people used to
ranking candidates and then push for more reforms.  Lets take what we can
get and not sabotage efforts to get IRV adopted.

Jeff