[EM] Congressional Size

Lloyd Caesar octaviuz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 00:35:02 PDT 2004

I apologize if this isn't directly related to the list
topic or, for that matter if it's been discussed
before (I wasn't able to search the archives).
Since this list is populated by politically interested
mathematicians and mathematically savvy political
junkies, I'd like to ask about the technical
feasibility of an idea of mine for determining the
size of congress (the political feasibility is nill).

1)After each census, the total population is divided
by that of the smallest state (or an average of the n
smallest ones, in case of catastrophic depopulation of
WY)

2)States are guaranteed that they can't lose seats
without a decrease in population. (Perhaps with an
exception if the house itself decreases in size)

This particular idea doesn't deal with the question of
apportionment (a substantial enough issue in its own
right)

Thanks for your critiques,
                      Lloyd