Re [EM] PR Condorcet algorithm implemented as experiment

Dgamble997 at aol.com Dgamble997 at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 13:54:02 PDT 2004

Andrew Myers wrote:

>I implemented the PR-enforcing Condorcet algorithm I described in my recent
>mail to this list, as part of the CIVS voting web service. If you would like
>to try it out (and give me some testing!), visit the following URL and vote
on
>the "ice cream assortment" election:

Andrew, could you provide a worked example of your method with say 4
candidates for 2 seats.

Secondly are there any circumstances electing two candidates from four with
the vote set:

34 A>B>C>D
23 B>C>D>A
22 C>D>B>A
21 D>B>C>A

in which A is not one of the two winners.

Under the two other Condorcet PR methods I'm familiar with ( Tideman's
cpo-stv and Sequential STV) if any candidate has a Droop quota of 1st preference
votes that candidate must win.

The reason I ask this is that when I voted in your ice cream PR poll ( for 3
winners) I gave my highest cardinal rating (999) to cherry chocolate chip. My
vote was the fourth vote cast in the poll and therefore represented a Droop
quota.

Cherry chocolate chip was not one of the three winning flavours.

The only way you get such a result using cpo-stv or Sequential STV  would be
if each of the 4 voters had given a different flavour as their first choice
and there was a 4 way tie which was resolved by selecting 3 of the 4 first
choice flavours at random.

David Gamble