[EM] E-Voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Apr 3 22:33:02 PST 2004

I just read an excellent professional discussion of E-Voting Strategies.
I give the URL in one piece, if you are lucky, and two pieces for obvious
patching together:

http://www.opctj.org/articles/kevin-mcdermott-01-24-2004-142018.html

http://www.opctj.org/articles/kevin-
mcdermott-01-24-2004-142018.html

While Kevin McDermott goes into more detail than many of us are
prepared to adsorb, the fact that he can and does provide the
detail should encourage us to accept his recommendations.

Points that caught my eye:

Electronic systems are never perfect.

We should demand open source - Linux, which is open source, has less
problems than Windows, which is not.

I add that counting votes is a simple task, and can justify the extra
attention that will minimize chance of error in that task.

When we demand verification we should specify our goal - verification -
but not the method.  Most such demands have specified paper as the method,
while some other method might be better.

I emphasize that secrecy of votes is IMPORTANT.

Activists need to work with, not against, Election Officials, who often
understand their job and want to do it better.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.