[EM] To James A., about Bucklin & ERIRV

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 3 16:58:01 PST 2004

I'd said:

>Approval & CR are the 2nd best, if we're talking about proposed methods.
>Bucklin and ERBucklin(whole) are between Condorcet and Approval, in
>merit. But Bucklin & ERBucklin(whole) aren't proposed.

James A. replied:

	I'm not really concerned with the distinction between proposed and
non-proposed methods right now (but as far as that goes, I assume you know
that Bucklin has not only been proposed but actually used for public
elections in this country

I reply:

Here's what I said above: "But Bucklin & ERBucklin(whole) aren't proposed."
I meant that they aren't proposed now. Sure, Bucklin was used in a number of
U.S. cities during some part of the first half of the previous century.

You continued:

(and in one case struck down by a state supreme
court for failing later-no-harm!)).

I reply:

Can you back up that claim? Can you post the wording of the supreme court
decision, their wording for why they ruled against Bucklin?

If you don't want a compromise to harm your favorite, then that rules out
Plurality and IRV, where it can be necessary to vote the compromise over
your favorite. You might reply that the rules of Plurality & IRV don't
require you to do that. Likewise, the rules of Bucklin don't require you to
extend your ranking any farther than you want to, and the rules of Approval
don't require you to vote for any more candidates than you want to.

One silly thing about LNH, as I mentioned some time ago, is that what it
protects is ranking someone below your favorite, even though the fact that
you added your 2nd choice compromise to your ranking may never be counted by
IRV. The majority defensive strategy criteria are about what you don't have
to do in order to make sure that a "greater evil" doesn't win. Those
criteria are an answer to widespread concerns about the lesser-of-2-evils
problem.

When we speak of making your last choice (or some other "greater evil")
lose, instead of just including a 2nd choice in your ranking, then IRV
fails.

Using LNH is like praising a car that's up on blocks because it doesn't fail
any safety tests. Just as IRV lets you rank your 2nd choice, the test car on
blocks lets you start the engine and oiperate the controls. Ranking a 2nd
chioce is often ignored by IRV, and that test car won't get you to work.

In Bucklin, but not in IRV, a majority can reliably make someone lose
without reversing a preference, and, in fact, without even insincerely
ranking 2 candidates at the same rank position.

You continued:

	But really, that aside, I would like to know how ERIRV, whole and
fractional, fit into your preference ordering of single winner methods.
Between ERIRV and approval, which do you believe to be superior, and why?

I reply:

I rate ERIRV below Approval. Approval meets WDSC & FBC. ERIRV meets WDSC,
but fails FBC.

Mike Ossipoff