[EM] PR vs Single-Winner Reform

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:38:03 PDT 2004

If you want to really do some good, something that will have an important
and potentially vast global beneficial influence, adopt Condorcet or
Approval (or maybe Bucklin) in your country instead of just PR.

Single-winner reform in other countries would be precedent for its adoption
in the U.S.

There are arleady many countries using PR, including the best PR methods.
But PR isn't a feasible proposal in the U.S. People here are suspicious of
change, and PR would be a big change in the concept of representation. But
single-winner reform would merely be an obviously better way of doing what
we already do--electing candidates to 1-seat offices. People are rightly
suspicious of and disgusted with their "representatives". Any change in the
concept of representation woudl be perceived by many as giving more power to
representatives, or to some disliked group. For instance, we ofen hear that
PR would give power to the "special interests". Never mind what that
means--my point is that PR won't be adopted here.

So what can you do for the world? Adopt Condorcet, Approval, CR, or maybe
Bucklin. Give us a precedent for genuine single-winner rerform. If you do
that, you would be helping to democratize the U.S. And if you do that, you
could make a big difference in the qualitly of life in the world.

Condorcet has the advantage of being the best. Approval has the advantage of
having the easiest implementation,and being a small, obvious modification of
Plurality. CR has the advantage of being familiar to people, and is
strategically equivalent to Approval, and therefore is just as good as
Approval. Bucklin has the advantage of having an easier hand-count than
Condorcet, if elections must be hand-counted. Compared to other methods as
easily hand-counted, Bucklin has by far the best properties.

Mike Ossipoff