[EM] another CR/Approval method

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Sep 27 12:27:05 PDT 2003

I like it!

As far as I know this method is original with Kevin.

Both the "why" and the "how" of the method are easy to understand.

It's the best use of CR ballots that I've seen so far.  It's definitely
better than my MAX POWER CR.

Several of us have been stabbing around in the dark looking for something
like this.  It's going to be hard to find a better use for CR ballots.

Here's an idea along slightly different lines for using CR ballots:

Find the two candidates whose max opposition is least.

On each ballot that contributes to the max opposition of both of these
candidates, merge the top two levels.

Recalculate the max oppositions of all the candidates to find the new
front runners.

On each ballot that contributes to the max opposition of both of these
candidate, merge the top two levels.

Continue in this manner until there is no ballot that contributes to the
max opposition of both current front runners.

At this point the candidate with the least max opposition is elected.

In this method the mergers progress from the top down and are
irreversible, as in Bucklin, but unlike Bucklin this method does not
collapse all ballots in lock step.

A variation would allow voters to specify a minimum level for mergers.  In
this variation, the process would continue until every ballot that
contributes to the max opposition of both front runners is already
collapsed down to the voter specified minimum.

Another variation could use your viability idea.

For example, suppose that there are 5 candidates.

Merge the top two levels of all ballots that contribute to the max
opposition of all four of these viable candidates.

Now forget the previous viability marks, and mark as viable the three
candidates whose max opposition is least.

Merge the top two levels on all ballots that contribute to the max
opposition of all three of the currently viable candidates.

Now discard the viability marks, and mark as viable the two candidates
whose max opposition is least.

After one last collapse (on ballots that contribute to the max opposition
of both viable candidates), the candidate with the min max opposition is
elected.

Forest