[EM] Dumb question - Misunderstanding

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 23 13:25:01 PDT 2003

Markus,

you are not understanding what Mr. Hodges proposes.

1)A closed list is a list where the order of candidates for a party is
an order imposed by the party leader. Also called nominations.

3)An open list is a list where the order is determined from
the popular election results.

Between these two case is the case you refer to:
2) A closed/open list (I do not know how you see it) is a list
established by an election made by party members before the popular election.
I would call it an "open-to-party members" list.

Markus refers to case #2), Mr. Hodges and myself to #3).

We agree STV is case #3) and it is better than #1) or #2). Now there are other
ways than STV to implement case #3) , some using single-winner methods to
produce
fully proportionnal PR models.

Steph