[EM] Participation criterion: a thought

Kislanko at aol.com Kislanko at aol.com
Sat Sep 20 15:51:08 PDT 2003

>>So why the great recent worry about participation ? (myself included, I
have to admit!  The statement of the participation criterion sounds much
more important and generally worrying than the statement of the consistency
criterion.)  If I'm right in my belief that participation is a subset of
consistency then I no longer see it as a bugbear to worry about overmuch.<<

I don't even know what is meant by "participation." The only so-called
definition I've seen is "suppose another bunch of voters show up and vote the same
way as one voter does". To my way of thinking, if more voters are added, it's a
different election, and we could use the results of the first and the one
with additional voters to analyze how different election methods would determine
the winners.