[EM] Methods, and the criteria they satisfy

Diana Galletly dag1000 at eng.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 19 14:11:03 PDT 2003

Thanks to all who have answered on and off list.  Any further responses
gratefully received, though!

I'm now rather concerned about violation of the participation criterion,
and would be delighted to hear about ranked methods that don't violate
it.  I suspect though that single winner cases are likely to be a degenerate
case of the general solution and so where things might work in general, they
won't here.  Which is a shame, since the situation I'm trying to come up
with the best possible solution for is necessarily a single-winner case.

There may (fingers crossed) be an opportunity for some analysis with data
from real elections (see the last two tables on
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~galletly/results.pdf for the elections
I really want to analyse) -- I've been accused of using contrived examples
to make points, and I suspect these elections of giving real-life examples
of problems.  If it does get to the point of my getting the raw data, I'll
be very happy to test any method around to see what results would be
obtained in these two cases.

Diana.