[EM] IRV vs. Plurality

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Sep 12 00:20:02 PDT 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:05:17 EDT Dgamble997 at aol.com wrote in part:

> Bart Ingles wrote in part:
>
>  >On the question of IRV vs Plurality, I would like to first point out
>  >that pure first-past-the-post is not really the norm for U.S.
>  >elections. For nonpartisan local elections, the question should really
>  >be IRV vs. Runoff. And for partisan state and federal elections, we
>  >generally have primary and general elections, which are similar in
>  >effect to runoffs.

For New York State the standard is partisan for all elections in the state
except:
      By law, villages can choose nonpartisan.
      New York City is considering nonpartisan for city offices.
      School boards are in their own world - at least some are nonpartisan.

I question this emphasis on runoff.  It could be true for PARTS of the US,
but I did not find the word in a quick search of New York State election
law.  Also, within NYS, some cities, etc., do do runoffs.

Relating primaries to runoffs bothers me:
      A primary is an election within a party to decide which of competing
candidates the party shall nominate for the general election.
           A party would not WANT to nominate competing candidates for the
general election (assuming Plurality) - such could split the vote of party
backers, thus improving the odds of some other party's candidate winning.
      A party COULD use a runoff to resolve primary results being too
close to a tie.

> David Gamble

                  If you want peace, work for justice.