[EM] RWE, Participation

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Sep 10 08:04:03 PDT 2003

Chris,

 --- Chris Benham <chrisbenham at bigpond.com> a écrit :
> The original:
> 51:A>B>C>D>E
> 50:B>A>C>D>E
> 100:C>D>B>E
> 52:D>E>C>B>A
> 49:E>D>C>B>A
> 302 votes.
> C is CW, and Plurality and Borda winner. IRV,Bucklin and RWE elect D.

I also value Participation highly, but it seems extremely difficult to meet.
I wonder if anyone has put thought into the circumstances where it should be
permissible to fail Participation.

For instance, the 100 voters above could conceivably have used strategy
(in Bucklin or RWE) to avoid giving the election to D...  Particularly
if they think C is the best compromise, which he is.

But if you can hurt your interests by voting, in cases where it would be
impossible for you to foresee, that seems unacceptable.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr