[EM] Re: IRV vs. Runoff

Steve Barney barnes99062303 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 09:30:04 PDT 2003

Chris:

The definition is given on page 4:

"The majority rule selects the plurality winner if she
receives a score larger than n/2,
which means that more than half of the electorate puts
her on rank 1."
<http://www.econ.kuleuven.ac.be/ew/admin/Publications/DPS99/Dps9911.pdf>

Apparently, that is a rule where there is sometimes no
winner (just as is the case in the election of the
Pope, which requires a 2/3 majority). If somebody gets
more that 1/2 of the first preferences, that is the
majority winner. Otherwise, there is no majority
winner. Both the majority rule and the 2/3
super-majority rule may be more commonly used as
parliamentary procedure rules, but they are used for
elections, too.

Anyway, I would really like to know your opinion of my
resolution. Are my Whereas clauses true, or not? Is
the argument sound?

SB

--- Chris Benham <chrisbenham at bigpond.com> wrote:
> Steve,
> Your Sun. Sep.7  message included a link to a  1999
> academic paper by
> Dimitri  Vandercruyssen  which  looked at  16
> different
> single-winner election "proceedures". One of these
> was listed as simply
>  "Majority". What is it ?  What are the rules, and
> is it known by any
> oher name?
>
> Chris Benham

=====
Richard M. Hare, 1919 - 2002, In Memoriam, http://www.petersingerlinks.com/hare.htm

Did you know there is an web site where, if you click on a button, the advertisers there will donate 2 1/2 cups of food to feed hungry people in places where there is a lot of starvation? Consider making it your home page. See:
http://www.thehungersite.com