[EM] IRV vs. Plurality

John B. Hodges jbhodges at usit.net
Sun Sep 7 15:10:05 PDT 2003

>Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:52:58 -0700
>From: Bart Ingles <bartman at netgate.net>
>Subject: Re: [EM] IRV vs. Plurality
>
>I have a question of my own:  What kinds of pro-IRV activities do you
>think should be protected from interference by advocates of other
>systems?  Does this apply only to efforts to pass a pro-IRV law or
>ballot initiative, or should we also refrain from responding to pro-IRV
>editorials, for example?  Or how about the recent League of Women Voters
>Election Systems Studies, which were in part promoted and financed by
>pro-IRV groups-- should these be considered 'IRV territory' as well?
>(much snipped)
>  >         In general, I think that it is very counter-productive
>for advocates of
>>  Condorcet and Approval to spend their efforts trying to block attempts to
>>  implement IRV. It seems obvious that their effort would be better spent
>>  trying to implement their own favorite system, rather than defending
>>  plurality against IRV.
>
>I repeat my question from above:  What kinds of pro-IRV activities
>should be protected from interference by advocates of other systems?
>Specific attempts at implementation, or any activity by IRV advocates?
>And what constitutes "blocking"-- actual lobbying against an IRV
>initiative, or any public criticism of IRV?  It seems to me that there
>is a fine line between "blocking" and educating the public.  Where would
>you draw the line?  And if the attempt to implement IRV happens to be in
>my own hometown, can I lobby my own council members against it, or
>should I move to another city before contacting my representatives?
>
>In general, I see nothing wrong with competition.  That's democracy.  In
>some cases, the controversy could be beneficial.  While I don't favor
>following IRV advocates around and attempting to counter all of their
>efforts, I don't feel any particular obligation to engage in a
>conspiracy of silence either.  In the extreme-- and I'm not saying
>that's what's being advocated here, but I have seen it elsewhere-- the
>suggestion that we should hide our differences from the public strikes
>me as elitist and unethical.

JBH here- IMHO, if you have a serious proposal to place before the
voters as an alternative to IRV, THEN it would be legitimate
competition to compare and contrast the relative virtues and flaws of
the respective proposals. If you do not have any specific alternative
to offer, and are criticizing because the IRV proposal is not the
best you could imagine, then your efforts are simply obstructive.
When the effective alternatives are IRV vs. status-quo, unless you
honestly take the position that IRV is worse than plurality, worse
than two-round runoff, then you should not oppose IRV proposals.

And frankly, IMHO, no honest person can say that IRV is worse than
plurality, worse than two-round runoff, however brilliant they or
others think they may be.

So I am repeating something I have said before. If you think that
Ranked Pairs Condorcet, or plain Approval, or MCA/Bucklin, are better
than IRV, and you wish to do the work to put a proposal on the ballot
to implement your favored system, GO FOR IT!!! If you don't wish to
do the work, then please, stay out of the way of those who do.

Bart also said he didn't accept the "stepping-stone" argument. Again
IMHO, there is very little worth to ANY single-winner method, unless
it is part of a larger agenda for proportional representation. In
abstract models you can argue that the legislature will choose the
same proposals under single-seat districts as it would under PR, if
the single-seat districts choose their reps by some good
single-winner method. IMHO this is losing sight of the differences
between abstract models and reality. Theorists and professional
academics sometimes do this, it is a failing to guard against.
Reality is discontinuous, nonlinear, multidimensional, and "messy" in
many ways; having mathematical assurances of equilibrium tendencies
of abstract systems is no substitute for having a real human being in
the legislature whom you voted FOR as articulating your own views and
priorities. To seriously reform the current system, we need to move
to a multiparty system; to allow a larger fraction of the population
to see someone in the legislature who they voted FOR, who represents
their views, there is no alternative (AFAIK) to proportional
representation in multi-seat districts. Single-winner methods are
sometimes unavoidable; for executive seats, we might as well use the
best method we know of. There is no good in using single-seat methods
when they are not necessary.