[EM] Query for one and all, Clones

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Sep 3 14:31:11 PDT 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, [iso-8859-1] Kevin Venzke wrote:

> Suppose one voter only sincerely approves and ranks 1 candidate, and another
> voter does 5 candidates.  Unless the method goes down to the fifth rankings,
> the second voter is not able to make all the compromises he might've been
> willing to.  A voter should not use more ranks than will be seen (also true in
> the original MCA: if you know the winner will win by being majority favorite,
> the middle rank is useless).  To protect uninformed voters, this suggests to me
> that the number of MCA/GB ranks be few and fixed in number.

> Having said that, it occurs to me that the original, three-rank MCA is
> not clone-proof if you interpret the MCA ballot as an ordinary ranked
> ballot.

For these and other reasons I believe that it is better to base MCA/GB on
CR style ballots.

In this formulation the approval cutoff starts out just below the top CR
level and is successively lowered one level per round until one or more
candidates has more than fifty percent approval or the approval cutoff is
just above the bottom level.

Here's an economical way to get a CR ballot with resolution sixteen:

Candidate     The candidate's score is the sum of marked digits:

Jane W.        (8) (4) (2) (1)
Jacob N.       (8) (4) (2) (1)
Jill Q.        (8) (4) (2) (1)
etc.