[EM] Schulze; Beatpath Method; Schwartz Sequential Dropping

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 25 06:11:02 PDT 2003

Dear participants,

since 1997, I promote my own single-winner election method.
This method is sometimes called "Beatpath Method" or "Schwartz
Sequential Dropping" and it is used by SPI and DEBIAN.

I have written a paper in which I give a simple description
of this method and an O(NumberOfCandidates^3) algorithm to
calculate the winner. Furthermore, I prove that this method
satisfies Pareto, monotonicity, resolvability, independence
of clones, reversal symmetry, and plurality. From the
definition of this method, it is clear that it also
satisfies anonymity, neutrality, Smith-IIA, and Schwartz: