[EM] How to vote cards for Approval?

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Thu Oct 30 19:55:02 PST 2003

Gervase Lam wrote:

> > Someone mentioned Approval - I object for, while the math is easier to
> > implement, the voter must invest almost as much effert as for Condorcet,
> > yet is unable to indicate BEST LIKED.
>
> Could this effort be reduced by giving out how to vote cards?

It could if you ever had an actual election scenario which was complex
enough to need them.  But I don't think I've ever had that experience in
any election I've voted.

Even in the recent California recall election with 130-odd candidates,
the voters seemed to know enough to cast a strategic vote for the
Condorcet candidate.  Apparently there was enough publicity about
McClintock being a potential spoiler to keep it from happening.

Ironic, isn't it, that the primary/general election--a process that
approximated a two-round runoff system--succeeded in eliminating the
Condorcet candidate (Riordan) at that time, thus creating a need for the
recall?  While many voters had an inkling (or more than an inkling) that
supporting Simon in the primary would result in Davis winning in
November, the two-round system didn't leave anyone an "out".  How could
you reasonably advise the leading candidate in the Republican primary to
drop out, or convince voters that the front-runner was really the
spoiler?

At least with the Plurality replacement election, the necessary strategy
was obvious.  It would have been just as obvious, but less onerous,
under Approval.

Bart