[EM] How to vote cards for Approval?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Oct 30 17:36:14 PST 2003

Gervase,

 --- Gervase Lam <gervase at group.force9.co.uk> a écrit :
> > Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:55:07 -0500
> > From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
> > Subject: Re: [EM] Displaying intermediate results in Condorcet-based
> >  elections (re: Rob Brown's original question)
>
> > Someone mentioned Approval - I object for, while the math is easier to
> > implement, the voter must invest almost as much effert as for Condorcet,
> > yet is unable to indicate BEST LIKED.
>
> Could this effort be reduced by giving out how to vote cards?

I think how-to-vote cards would not work well for Approval.  Viable candidates
wouldn't need to issue them, since their only advice is to bullet vote.  Candidates
from the same area of the spectrum probably won't agree to advise their supporters
to approve all of them.

I can only see a minor candidate suggesting that his supporters vote for him as well
as his own favorite viable candidate.  In other words, Nader suggesting people also
approve Gore.  I think people would decide for themselves whether to take such advice
(assuming minor candidates would give such advice to begin with).

Maybe interest groups, who don't have a specific candidate, could hand out such
cards.  If the only issue I care about is postal reform, for instance, the card
could tell me who has good stances on that issue.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr