[EM] Intro to list (etc)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Oct 27 20:48:02 PST 2003

I read these two threads thru 2130 EST on Monday, but choose to respond to
this original.

Looks like a GREAT idea, though a few details disturb me.

You talk of a primary customer, who would give their users some experience
with Condorcet, but as individual voters with no choice as to details of
the implementation.

Doing that well takes what I consider to be an almost complete program, so
I would lay out design for a more complete program, planning to implement
only the subset for starters, and then completing the rest if/when that
seemed worth the extra effort.  Some details:

List of candidates - done by whoever sets up election.  Can have long
names but MUST have a unique label of not more than 4 characters, to allow
for max quantities of candidates to be displayed in vote matrix.

Vote - every voter can vote, so this must be easy - perhaps permit voter
to use either full or above short labels - there are other
possible methods.  For a simulation mode, let "voter" vote as multiple
voters choosing a vote pattern.

Display ballot count matrix, as if this was last voter before polls
closed.  Could make sense to display this while the voter is voting,
stepping as the voter goes thru ranking candidates from first to last
voted by this voter.  This ONLY starts with matrix as of voter starting to
vote, incremented according to voter's current proposed vote.

Calculate winner - always doable based on above activity, but meaningful
only after polls have closed.  In simulation mode this is the major
opportunity for offering various Condorcet-class methods, for taking turns
with various methods to process a single results matrix.
      Standard method:  I LIKE winning votes and Ranked Pairs.
      Simulation methods:  Throw in all the choices anyone can make
sufficient case for.
      Simulator supplied:  Perhaps allow for simulation users to provide
their own calculation method.
      IRV:  Could make sense to include this as a simulation choice -
tempting, but demand a STRONG case before investing this effort, for IRV
demands records of how many voters voted each voting pattern used, while
Condorcet needs ONLY the information placed in the pairs matrix.

Sort and redisplay ballot count matrix, starting with winner in
row 1/column 1?  This would place most of the numbers of any true interest
in the upper left corner, ready for comparison with adjacent numbers -
even if you supported having more candidates than display width could
display at once.

Do graphs?  I am not against this, but not clear to me how to do anything
useful.  One thing I insist on is that stepping and winner calculation
SHALL be valid Condorcet operations using whatever method was promised,
and that the graph subroutine be restricted to doing whatever is
consistent with that.
      BTW - We seem agreed on ordering candidates in one dimension from
winner to worst loser.  Just hard to see how to get to such a graph from
the 2-dimension results matrix (remembering that cycles make this even
harder to translate).

True results matrix gets stepped according to voter's final proposal only
when voter says record this as final (remember that each voter could spend
minutes - even hours - voting while other voters are active on the
Internet at the SAME time).  Note that this is the step that needs defense
against double voting in a true election - which still leaves this on the
internet and thus too dangerous to use when temptation to cheat gets too big.

HELP:  DO provide this.  Major topics:
      What is Condorcet.
      What, in detail, is each method supported (more than one for
simulation).
      What are cycles?  I suggest "near ties" as less confusing to these
outsiders, and meaningful to insiders - A>B and B>C while C>A implies
being close to a tie.

Borda?  Keep this and other election methods and words OUT of this support
for Condorcet.

Dave Ketchum

                   If you want peace, work for justice.