[EM] Kevin, you wrote on 4 Oct '03

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Oct 17 22:30:02 PDT 2003

Dave,

 --- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> >   * If each rank receives one half, then the results of the election will
> > be the same as if you ranked any one of the two as first and the other
> > second, so, in which case splitting your vote is not necessary, it merely
> > makes the math of the method more complicated.
>
> Here if Tom and Dick each vote A=B, we get to the same destination as for
> votes of A>B and B>A.  I see this scoring as reasonable.

I see this scoring as undesirable, because by tying too many candidates in first,
one can cause one or more of them to be eliminated.

The point of allowing equal ranking in IRV, is to make it always safe to vote
without order reversal.

> >   * But, I suspect that you may mean to give each rank a full vote, both of
> > which will be included in the first count.  In which case I do not support
> > equal-ranking, for it is merely a complicated mix of Approval Voting and
> > Irving.
>
> Here if Tom votes A=B, he has as much power as if he became twins, voting
> A>B and B>A, giving these two an edge over other candidates.

This is not really so, since all voters can do this.  And if the other voters
bullet vote, they are denying more candidates votes as surely as Tom as giving
more of them votes.  That is no different from Approval, I don't think.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr